Dr. Julie Damron

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.sierravetclinic.com/

2 minutes reading time (323 words)

Snail bait a toxic danger for your pet

By Dr. Julie Damron
Stockton Record April 05, 2008

Snail bait or metaldehyde toxicity is a very common dog poisoning.

This pesticide often comes in a pellet form that resembles a dog treat, and sometimes flavor enhancers added to attract snails entice the canine palate as well. The powder or liquid form can easily be tracked onto paws and ingested during grooming.

Metaldehyde is very toxic, and symptoms can occur within one to four hours. Twitching can transition to seizures and, in the worst cases, lead to death.

There also are secondary problems. The tremors or convulsions are really muscle contractions. When a lot of these occur, they raise the body temperature from the normal 99-102 degrees to 110 degrees or higher. This can lead to brain damage if unchecked.

Some additional symptoms include wobbling, vomiting, diarrhea, rigidity, increased heart rate and decreased respiratory rate. Metaldehyde also can cause significant liver damage.

A diagnosis of metaldehyde toxicity can be confirmed by testing the urine or stomach contents; the toxin also can be present in the plasma and tissues. However, because this is one of the most common causes of muscle tremors, the poison is usually suspected based on the symptoms alone.

Frequently, a muscle relaxant is given immediately to stop the muscle tremors. Vomiting can be induced if it is within one hour of consumption. IVs often will be given for supportive care. Activated charcoal also may be given to prevent further drug absorption.

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to avoid this poison for your pet; your neighbors could be using this or other chemicals in their gardens. There are pet-friendly alternative pest control options available.

Awareness is also very important. If you suspect that your dog has consumed any amount of snail bait, take him or her to your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately. This toxicity has serious consequences for your pet.

Julie Damron is a veterinarian at Sierra Veterinary Clinic in Stockton. Contact her at .

Limping pet could be a sign of knee issue
Flea season is upon us


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Sunday, 09 August 2020

With the recent shelter-in-place order issued for our community, we wanted to take a moment to let you know that we are open and here for you and your pet!

However with the safety of our clients, patients and employees in mind, our lobby will be closed until further notice. Veterinary services will remain available during our normal business hours with a few adjustments to how we receive you and your pet, including:

Appointments & Medication/Food Pickup

Upon arriving at the clinic, please remain in your vehicle and contact us via phone @ 209-477-4841 to let our team know you have arrived. A team member will then meet you at your vehicle to escort your pet inside for the appointment and/or deliver any products you need to pick up. Payments can be made over the phone, from your vehicle.

We ask that no one who is experiencing flu-like symptoms or who has been exposed to someone who has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus enter the facility at this time.

Refill Requests

To submit a medication or food refill request, please contact us via phone, email or online refill request form. We will contact you when your refill is ready and deliver it to your vehicle upon your arrival.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, and for helping us keep our community safe!


Website Contents © Sierra Veterinary Clinic
Unauthorized duplication or reposting of the contents of this site in any form is strictly prohibited.

Stockton Website Design by Brentwood Visual  |  Staff Login